A crowd-pleasing meal for sure! Here’s a recipe that gets requested EVERY TIME I make it for someone–whether we have guests over or I deliver it to a new mommy! It never fails that I get good reviews on this one–I should just start bringing a copy of the recipe along when I deliver this meal.
I received this recipe after requesting it myself. When I was still in high school, I worked as a summer missionary for Child Evangelism Fellowship. We often went out of town to do Vacation Bible Schools for smaller communities, so we had a lot of meals that were provided for us by those living in the communities we visited. One evening, we were served CAVATINI. I remember loving it, and I didn’t leave before I had a copy of the recipe in my hand! It’s a good comfort meal–hits the right spot. It’s been probably 15-20 years since then, and we’re still making this meal. 🙂
Funny side note: my now hubby was sitting at the same table I was that summer day when we got our first taste of Cavatini. He, too, was a summer missionary for CEF, so we spent many summers together during our teen years. We didn’t get along. At all. Now we’re married. STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN!
Moral of the story: Be nice to everyone. He/she might be your spouse someday!
Anyway, here’s a crowd-pleasing meal that I think you will be adding to your usual meal rotation.
CAVATINI (Click for a printable 4×6 recipe card for: Cavatini)
1-1 1/2 ground beef
Small onion, chopped
Green pepper, chopped
1 (3 oz) pkg sliced pepperoni
1 tsp (1-2 cloves) garlic, minced
salt/pepper to taste
1 can olives, drained, chopped or whole (optional)
1 can mushrooms, drained (optional)
1 jar Prego spaghetti sauce (use “traditional” flavor)
1 lb (4 cups) Monterrey Jack shredded cheese
3-4 cups pasta, cooked (usually use wheels, bow ties, penne)
1 cup shredded Mozzarella
Parmesan to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Cook pasta according to directions.
3. Chop veggies.
4. While pasta cooks, brown beef with onion, green pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, and pepperoni.
5. Combine pasta, beef mixture, spaghetti sauce, Monterrey Jack cheese, olives, and mushrooms.
6. Put in a greased 9×13 pan.
7. Top with Mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan.
8. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. OR Microwave for 10 minutes. OR Freeze to enjoy for later use. **(If frozen or put in refrigerator before baking, baking time will be longer.)**
Click for a printable 4×6 recipe card for: Cavatini